Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Guilt and Reality TV

I once wrote a two page review of the movie Stealth, starring Jessica Biel and Jamie Foxx, for a humor website. The "review" basically consisted of me pointing out how ridiculous and unbelievable the plot, editing, and concept of the movie were, to the point that it was one of the most enjoyable movie-watching experiences I've ever had. I truly couldn't believe the movie had been made. From the opening sequence where Jessica Biel is introduced as one of the top three "ace" pilots in the U.S. to the HAL-like fighter jet that turns out to contain a mean streak malfunction, the movie was BAD in the most painful, excruciating sense.






For me, this type of BAD means movies and TV shows that cause me to lightly punch whoever is watching/listening with me, and embark on long monologues about quality, plot holes, cheese, idiocy, and brain damage within the human race. At some point I become depressed and ashamed, and I turn away from the entertainment in question, like a toddler that has accidentally shit on the floor and is both fascinated and repulsed by his-or-her own mess.





Everyone knows just how awful reality TV can be, yet everyone (who is not a complete pompous ass) will also admit that there is a seductive allure to these shows, be they bachelor-esque dating dramas, self-improvement (makeover, weight loss, home renovation shows), or pure competitions a la survivor and its ilk. It's actually kind of funny to think back on the original granddaddy of reality TV - MTV's Real World - and realize that there was no catch or prize or bonus round of selection.

But back to my original intention - addressing the guilt and slight self-hatred that often accompanies watching the worst of these shows, most of which glut the schedule of VH1 these days.

I will say that I enjoy some reality-classified shows practically guilt-free. Project Runway, Top Chef, What Not to Wear, and even The Biggest Loser are the fruit and yogurt of reality TV shows (as compared to the fried oreo on a stick of something like Rock of Love). In the "healthy" shows, no one is (usually) made to look stupid on purpose, contestants' public image generally is improved, and some people I think genuinely do change their habits or lives for the better.

I will also say that there are some dogs that eat their own shit without hesitation - a comparison that may ring a bit too true for some of us.



I guess my point is, I think watching trashy reality TV should be treated like junk food - okay once in awhile, as long as your brain is being stimulated by a variety of other forms of intelligent entertainment, and keep it away from children as long as you can lest they grow up thinking all women look like strippers, all men are complete dicks, and everyone has a vocabulary of three words: "bitch," "slut" and "daaaag".

-KE

No comments:

Post a Comment